Oil Tank Regulations
Clean burning, highly refined and bursting with energy, heating oil and diesel both represent an excellent and environmentally responsible fuel choice. However, just like any fuel, it is necessary to store heating oil and diesel in an inherently safe and environmentally sensitive manner.
Throughout the United Kingdom, regulations are now in place to minimise the impact of heating oil and diesel upon the environment, with links to key requirements in England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales provided below. Please note that many of these Regulations required expert interpretation.
If you are unsure as to any aspect of the Regulations, it is strongly recommended that you consult with an independently accredited competent person before undertaking any oil storage tank installation or ordering any product. TankDepot.co.uk cannot be held responsible for incorrect product selection or installation.
United Kingdom Building Standards and Regulations
- Building Regulations Approved Document J: England and Wales
- Building Regulations Technical Booklet L: Northern Ireland
- Building Standards: Scotland – Domestic Technical Handbook
- Building Standards: Scotland – Non Domestic Technical Handbook
United Kingdom Pollution Control Regulations
- Control of Pollution (Oil Storage) (England) Regulations 2001
- Control of Pollution (Oil Storage) (Northern Ireland) Regulations 2010
- The Control of Pollution (Silage, Slurry and Agricultural Fuel Oil) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2003
- The Water Environment (Oil Storage) (Scotland) Regulations 2006
- The Water Resources (Control of Pollution) (Silage, Slurry and Agricultural Fuel Oil) (England) Regulations 2010
- The Water Resources (Control of Pollution) (Oil Storage) (Wales) Regulations 2016
United Kingdom Regulatory Guidance and Advice
Other Useful Links and Advice
- Environment Agency
- SEPA Scottish Environment Protection Agency
- Department of Agricultutre, Environment & Rural Affairs – Northern Ireland
- Environment Agency Natural Resources – Cyfoeth Naturiol Cymru
IMPORTANT INFORMATION Every effort is made to keep this area of the site up to date. However, TankDepot.co.uk cannot be held liable for errors and omissions. Legal compliance is the user’s responsibility. If you have concerns over compliance, you must seek professional advice, or contact your or local building standards or environmental authority. Additionally, TankDepot.co.uk recommends that all storage tanks should be installed only by a competent person e.g. an installer registered with The Oil Firing Technical Association (OFTEC). Please note that TankDepot.co.uk will not be responsible for any installation which is non-compliant with prevailing statutory requirements.